What did the SNEWS team read that other industry insiders might find interesting? Read on to find out!
- We’ve also heard about studies that suggest exercising outdoors produces positive psychological effects, but turns out it’s not just the fresh air and gorgeous views, it’s the color of the environment. This article suggests that the color green boosts the positive effects of exercise.
- Black Friday is today, and though you’re probably all busy dealing with holiday gift shoppers with crazy in their eyes, you might want to have them check out this story about the National Wildlife Federation’s gift ideas for kids to get them interested in outdoor activities.
- Hey Indiana retailers, your customers might be feeling a pinch coming increased fees from state parks and reservoirs. Among the changes are a $4 increase in annual entrance permits from $36 to $40 for Indiana residents. The annual out-of-state entrance permit will increase from $46 to $60. Annual entrance permits also may be used for entrance to the interpretive center at Falls of the Ohio State Park.
- Not everybody is lucky enough to work in the outdoor industry and have access to samples of awesome, warm gear for the winter. In fact, some people aren’t even lucky enough to have access to a decent coat and warm gear period. So check out this story about a winter apparel drive in Atlantic City and see how you can help out. Perhaps you could help out locally wherever you are as there are coat and apparel drives all over. For those of you in Colorado, there’s Coats for Colorado sponsored by the ABC affiliate Channel 7.
- The holidays is are a time when it seems like the whole country goes overboard – too much spending, too much eating, too much everything. This story suggests that we start incorporating fun activities like running holiday fun runs and going for hikes with the family into all of that too much.
- Speaking of helping out, if you’re in the Northern Iowa area, help out this budding outdoor adventures group for youngsters and senior citizens. Volunteers and members are needed, so retailers in the Iowa area, spread the word to your customers!
- If one turns a Columbia Omni-Heat jacket inside out, it’s super space age and fashionable, but the fisherfolks in the south don’t give a hoot about space age and fashionable. They want performance and gosh darn it they’re getting it from Columbia’s fishing wear. Check out this Portland Business Journal story about how the brand is gaining notoriety among the fishermen and women of the South with their fishing apparel and gear.
- Some people don’t go to church, they’d rather go for a trail run or a hike and enjoy the peace and solitude nature offers. But others like to combine that experience with their love of Jesus and religion. Check out this Commercial Appeal story about a group of folks in Tennessee who combine the two.
- Wow. If $1 million and the awesome experiences in the wilderness don’t turn these kids from New Hampshire into outdoor enthusiasts we don’t know what will. Check out this Portland Press Herald story about what the $1 million federal grant awarded to Windham High's Outing Club got these kids.
- Turns out the Pavement Runner is more than just about trail running. But he usually used his regular old road running shoes for trial running races. Not since he was introduced to Mizuno’s Wave Cabrakan 3. Check out his story and review.
Have you read anything interesting you'd like to share with us? Maybe we'll include it next week's column with a little shout out to whoever sent it to us. Send a link to the story with the subject line "SNEWS Reads" to be considered.
--Compiled by Ana Trujillo