Whad did the SNEWS team read this week that might be interesting to outdoor industry insiders? Read on to find out.
- We enjoyed this post on Blisstree that outlines a few tips for city folk who are looking to get a taste of the country mouse’s outdoor adventures. This article tells newbies to not forget stuff they use every day, such as aluminum foil or contact solution, among other helpful tips for your customers who might be getting into the outdoors for the first time.
- Here’s another first-person account of getting outdoors, but instead of offering tips to new campers, it’s a about how to encourage your kids to share the workload on a camping trip. So, don’t let the kids have all the fun while you’re stuck cooking the meals and cleaning up. Teach them how to help out. Check out the story in the Redding Record Searchlight.
- If this doesn’t make parents want to infuse their children’s lives with a healthy dose of the outdoors, we don’t know what will: When children participate in outdoor activities, they get better grades, according to this EPA blog. So let your kids take a break from their summer homework (as we found is all the rage among teachers these days) to get their dose of the great outdoors.
- It doesn’t matter what side of the Lance Armstrong doping debate you’re on, I’m sure we can all agree that we’re tired of hearing about it. Let’s replace that doping story with this one we found on Yahoo Health, about how ancient athletes got their hormone boost by chewing on raw animal testicles. Hm.
- We already told you this past Outdoor Retailer Summer Market was the biggest ever, but this article in the Desert News just confirms what we’ve already told you. Plus, it rehashes the battle between Utah Governor Gary Herbert and the outdoor industry.
- We noticed at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market that fly-fishing is becoming more prevalent in the outdoor industry, and now it’s being married with another popular activity in the industry: stand-up paddling. Accoridng to this Denver Post story, Badfish SUP, a Colorado-based company, has developed a board for fly-fishermen.
- So given the continuing popularity of stand-up paddling, and the increasing popularity of fly-fishing, it’s only natural that at least one of them would make the top 10 outdoor adventures list from the Houston Chronicle. We were shocked that not both of them were on the list, but at least fly-fishing made it.
- For those of you who weren’t lucky enough to check out all the cool stuff at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market at the beginning of the month firsthand, Ryan Alford of Snowshoe Magazine wraps it all up quite nicely in this article, which has a wintersports angle unlike a lot of other coverage.
- This might be common knowledge to you, as an experienced outdoorsperson and a retailer in the industry, but for some of your customers it might not be. This Yahoo Sports story offers the top five tasks to complete after a camping trip to ensure your customers’ tents live a long life.
- If you’re in Nebraska and happen to mosey on over to the upcoming Nebraska State Fair, you should check out the new Outdoor Learning Center at the fair. According to this Independent article the exhibit will teach kids how water is used and showcase sustainable landscaping.
Have you read anything interesting you'd like to share with us? Maybe we'll include it next week's column with a little shout out to you. Send a link to the story with the subject line "SNEWS Reads" to be considered.
--Compiled by Ana Trujillo