Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at email@example.com.
- National Park advocates say that Acting Interior Secretary David Bernhardt was reckless in his use of nearly $235 million in park fees dedicated to improving visitor experiences to staff the park system during the 35-day government shutdown.
- Rarity on Everest: Cory Richards and Esteban “Topo” Mena, two seasoned climbers, will attempt a new route on the North Face of Everest this spring, Alan Arnette reports. They won't be using supplemental oxygen. The last time a new route was completed was 2004 by a Russian team.
- More Nepal news: On Feb. 27, a helicopter crashed into a mountain only moments after takeoff. All passengers were members of the Nepalese government and travel industry—and none survived.
- Planning a trip on the Grand in 2020? The National Park Service is now accepting applications for noncommercial river trip permits to raft the Colorado River through Grand Canyon National Park.
- As part of its cut of 400 workers, Under Armour is laying off 50 people at its Locust Point headquarters between now and June. Another 111 from the distribution center in Rialto, California, will lose their jobs on April 22.
- Duluth Trading Co. is opening its 48th store in Katy, Texas. It is the fifth location in Texas. The grand opening is planned for this Friday.
- olloclip, a mobile lens system for cell phone cameras, named Seattle-based Hayter Communications as its PR agency of record to drive all editorial coverage and media relations opportunities for the brand.
- Nester Hosiery, manufacturer of merino wool socks, promoted Travis Smith to customer service manager and Anna Draughn to wholesale merchandise manager.
- Downlite recently appointed Lisa Pruett as chief sales and marketing officer reporting to Josh Werthaiser, Downlite CEO.
- Patagonia has created a new, first-of-its-kind position: a dedicated environmental advocate. Avi Garbow, the Environmental Protection Agency’s longest-serving general counsel, will join Patagonia’s senior management team to fill the new role.