Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at email@example.com.
- Tariffs on Chinese imports were slated to increase earlier this month, but President Donald Trump put that on hold in the hopes that he'd negotiate with China. Now Trump says he has no plans to quickly remove tariffs on $250 billion of goods, even if they reach a trade deal. He says the tariffs could remain in place for years as they monitor how China complies.
- Acting Interior Secretary David Bernhardt did something good: He signed a Secretarial Order that will help prevent the sale of public lands and ensure that recreation and public access be a key consideration in land exchanges. “With this announcement we anticipate that more public lands with recreation assets will remain public and new areas will be identified for recreation access,” said Jessica Wahl, Executive Director of Outdoor Recreation Roundtable. “Access is key to jobs and local economies, especially in rural communities. We appreciate Interior’s attention to the important relationship between the recreation economy and our public lands and waters.”
- Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right? Gucci debuted a $890 leather and mesh sandal at NYC Fashion Week that closely resembles KEEN's $110 Newport sandal. They've never been known as fashion forward footwear, but this is just one more example of how outdoor gear is inspiring style.
- If you ordered something from Gearow.com, it might not be coming. The Better Business Bureau issued a warning about the online store apparently operating out of Buffalo, New York. Consumers from all across the U.S. have reported placing orders with the site, and never receiving the items or any form of correspondence, according to the bureau.
- The next iteration of Cairn Box is Kitted by Cairn, a gear subscription that allows members to try on and test before they buy. Members have five days to review and select up to five products they want in their kit and then 14 days to test it out.
- Event to mark on your calendar: The Outdoor Foundation and Outdoor Industry Association are throwing the Thrive Outside Give Back Bash on Night Zero of Outdoor Retailer Summer Market to kick off a renewed goal of connecting at least 100,000 children with the outdoors over the next three years.
- Bellyak, the prone paddlesports creator, has launched its very first brand ambassador competition. The brand is looking for 4 to 5 people, all kinds of athletes across the U.S. Winners will get a Bellyak, gloves, social media love, and coupon codes to pass out.
- Wilder Public Relations just added Costa Sunglasses to its client roster. They met when Wilder helped launch the Untangled Collection, Costa's line of sustainable sunglasses made from recycled fishing nets gathered by the Bureo team in Chile.
- Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, an independent brewing icon in Delaware, is teaming up with the boutique public relations agency, Pale Morning Media.