Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To celebrate Congress' support reauthorizing the Land and Water Conservation Fund, among other outdoor rec bills, NEMO Equipment employees compiled a list of seven close-to-home reasons why they love the fund, from bouldering in Pawtuckaway State Park to walking in Whitaker Woods.
- L.L.Bean's iconic Bean Boots just got a refresh. By partnering with Flowfold, another Maine-born brand, L.L.Bean is releasing the first co-branded boot in its 107 years. The new boots are made with the same ultralight, water-resistant X-Pac sailcloth fabric used in a line of backpacks.
- Celebrity skiing news: Actress Gwyneth Paltrow is being sued for $1.3 million by a Utah doctor who's claiming she crashed into him while skiing at Deer Valley Ski Resort in February 2016.
- REI just bought an adventure outfitter. The acquisition of Arizona Outback Adventures is the next step in their 15-year partnership. AOA will remain in Scottsdale and continue to built its hiking, biking, kayaking, and rafting programs with more than 120 guides and staff.
- Pro ski mountaineer Caroline Gleich has launched a $240 goggle with Julbo to promote ski mountaineering and equity for women. The product launch coincides with the start of the Climb for Equality campaign, inviting people to share a post on social media that supports women's leadership.
- Retailer spotlight: Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited site and you want to know why? River Sports Outfitters Owner Ed McAllister writes about his home in Knoxville, Tennesee, how he and his employees rely on the great outdoors for their livlihoods, and why the $151 million backlog in infrastructure improvements in the Smokies needs to be addressed.
- Examiners released a necropsy report in the death of a Colorado mountain lion, killed by a 31-year-old trail runner. He wasn't exaggerating about strangling and bludgeoning the big cat. The findings show that the animal suffered blunt trauma to the head and petechial hemorrhages to larynx and trachea.
- "Just call me Sierra": The TJX Cos has rebranded Sierra Trading Post to the single word as part of a new strategy for the brick-and-mortar and online retailer.
- Smith welcomed pro surfers Connor and Parker Coffin to its global surf team. “The glasses are killer and ChromaPop™ lenses are second to none," Connor Coffin said. "It’s great to be on a team with my brother and I’m looking forward to lots of good times with the Smith crew."