Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at email@example.com.
- We have BIG NEWS! We're launching a brand new and radically different trade journal called The Voice that drops Jan. 30—the first day of Outdoor Retailer + Snow Show 2019. We have a lot of big ideas and we're excited to bring them to you. Read more about our new magazine and ways to get involved in the letter by our Editor-in-chief Kristin Hostetter. #WeKnowOutdoors
- Schoeller is one of the founding signatories of a United Nations Fashion Industry Charter for Climate Change. The charter is in alignment with the Paris Agreement, addressing the climate impact of the fashion industry across its entire value chain.
- Arc’teryx, Salomon, Atomic, Peak Performance, and Suunto could have a new grandparent. The Investor Consortium led by China's Anta Sports wants to buy Amer Sports for $5.23 billion. Amer would operate independently from Anta. Amer's board is in favor of the acquisition.
- Outdoor Retailer is cutting two of its three shows by one day next year, going down from four-day to three-day summer and winter markets. Snow Show was always three days and will stay that way.
- Bight Gear's products have gone the distance—exactly 100 million vertical feet of human-powered testing since its brand inception.
- Bicycle Retailer and Industry News has been flooded with comments—on Facebook and on its story—about people reacting to the death of the Interbike trade show, the bike industry's biggest gathering in North America. One person wrote, "I would personally love to see bike pulled into Outdoor Retailer." Another person wrote, "Surprised? Yes, a bit. But when was the last time I was at Interbike, two years ago?"
- Recommended read: Wonderland Gear Exchange's grand opening was this past weekend. It's Seattle's only store focused on outdoor gear consignment. Since its soft opening last month, they’ve consigned more than 2,500 products from at least 300 individual consigners, and have sold more than 500 of those products.
- The National Park Foundation has teamed up with Nature Valley for the Find Your Park/Encuentra Tu Parque movement. Nature Valley’s support includes a three-year donation of $3 million to improve and restore critical parts of trails, resulting in better access to experience 10,000 miles of trails throughout the National Park System.
- An update from Flowfold:
- And lastly, don't miss our new series about how one Colorado retailer launched a women's event that's become wildly popular.