Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at email@example.com.
- As of today, 96 brands—Outdoor Industry Alliance, KEEN, KAVU, and more—have joined The Plastic Impact Alliance to make Outdoor Retailer a more sustainable trade show. You can too.
- Merrell and Hike It Baby have teamed up for a two-year partnership to provide families with the tools, gear, and resources they need to head out for a hike. The two companies will develop programs for families and Merrell will release a new Hut Moc shoe incorporating the Hike it Baby Busy Hiker print.
- The Ortovox Beacon Retirement Program is wrapping up its third year on May 1, with more than 300 obsolete transceivers upgraded for newer, more reliable safety technology. Older transceivers of any make can be retired at a participating ORTOVOX dealer where they will be recycled and traded for $75 credit toward a new 3+ digital beacon with Smart Antenna Technology.
- #WomenWalkthePresideo: Activist Teresa Baker, Camber Outdoors' Diana Seung, and ladies from JAM Collective gathered this week to walk and talk about issues, concerns, and the future. JAM's Julie Atherton posted, "Looking forward to many more conversations and activations. Thank you to Teresa Baker for her calm honesty and openness. Thanks to all the inspiring women who attended. Looking forward to working with all of you."
- Nominations are open for the Outdoor Retailer Inspiration Awards presented by adidas Outdoor. Apply here.
- The floor plan for Outdoor Retailer Summer Market is out. See where you sit in relationship to your friends in the industry.
- 1% For the Planet is recognizing its members with the first-ever People for the Planet Awards at this year's Global Summit. Klean Kanteen, Patagonia, and the Plastic Pollution Coalition are among the recipients.
- A 70-year-old woman fell to her death in Grand Canyon National Park this week, marking the fourth death in the park in a month.
- The parents of the American alpinist, who died in an avalanche in Canada with his two friends, released a statement about their son, Jess Roskelley.
- Tentrr, a camping company that specializes in connecting campers with gorgeous and secluded private properties, is adding two new additions to its online marketplace: Backcountry and Partner sites.
- Mark Phares has re-joined Smith as the vice president of global sales. Phares previously spent 17 years at Smith in various sales and management roles, before serving as director of sales overseeing the Western U.S. at OluKai for the past four years.