Got any news or tips about somebody, some product or some company doing some moving or shaking? Let us know so we can slip it into our occasional Movin' & Shakin' updates. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Workout World (www.workoutworldusa.com), now with two stores in the Los Angeles area – Torrance and Sherman Oaks -- is eyeing additional locations, including what it calls a “very prominent corner position” on Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. “It will be a show-stopper,” promised owner Darren Piggins. And not the last in Southern California either, we are told. Click here to see a May 24, 2010, SNEWS story about WOW’s new business in the United States.
- Scott Sports (www.scott-sports.com) has named Scott McCoubrey as its new national sales manager for the Running Division, USA. McCoubrey was most recently Scott Running’s northwest sales representative and the former owner of Seattle Running Co.
- Jayson Operio has joined Ironcompany.com as a sales rep for residential and light commercial clients. Previously with 24 Hour Fitness, Busy Body Home Fitness and Precor Home Fitness, Operio has been in the industry for eight years.
- Jimi Bowman, purchasing manager for FitCorp USA, has a new job – father of Marlo (pictured right), who was born March 2 to Bowman and his wife, Nicole. She weighed 6.7 pounds. “She’s very healthy and eats a lot,” Bowman said.
- Larry Domingo has left Star Trac “to pursue other options” as of April 1. He has been the vice president of global sales since November 2009. His departure was a part of another round of layoffs at the Tustin, Calif.-based fitness equipment supplier and a part of a larger reorganization plan. Click here to see a March 3, 2011, story about earlier changes.
- Ryan Ready has joined CrossCore Inc. (www.crosscore-usa.com) as head trainer after training tenures at Paramount and Carl Karcher Enterprises. Ready studied Wing Chun Kung Fu under Sifu Gary Lam as well as gaining experience in Kung Fu San Soo, Kali, kickboxing and boxing. He is an ISSA certified professional trainer and specialist in performance nutrition.
- Diamondback Fitness (www.diamondbackfitness.com) has hired Rob Ignasak as a business development representative to help the company grow its focus and support for specialty fitness dealers. Ignasak has 18 years of experience on the retail floor and was previously a general manager at Chicago Home Fitness.
- Life Fitness (www.lifefitness.com) has signed a deal with Al Ahli Group in Pan-Arabia, to provide Life Fitness and Hammer Strength-branded fitness equipment to Gold's Gym facilities in 13 countries. An initial 26 gyms are to be built in the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar and Bahrain. Agreements for the first 11 facilities have been signed to Life Fitness.
- MyZone, which debuted at IHRSA although it won’t have product for a few months, debuted its website April 11 at www.myzonemoves.com, reported new COO Mike Leveque. The company’s tagline is “Making Movement Measurable.”
- TRX has launched a trainer directory at www.trxdirectory.com. The online database includes trainers qualified in TRX suspension training and facilities that offer TRX training programs. The TRX Directory will include more than 30,00 TRX professional education course graduates worldwide, qualified host facilities of TRX professional education courses and TRX R4 licensed facilities.
Advocacy and networking
- Although not a part of the original budget proposal, the Carol M. White Physical Education Program (PEP) program was not eliminated in the new budget agreement on April 8. But the fight is not finished. In the next 30 days, the Department of Education will be working with the House and Senate Appropriations Committees to decide which of the remaining programs will receive funding. PEP provides grants to school districts and communities to support physical education and activity through the purchase of new equipment and training. In fiscal year 2009, it received $78 million up from $5 million its first year in 2001. Click here to write a letter to your member of Congress via the SGMA.
- National Sporting Goods Association, NSGA, will hold its 47th Annual Management Conference and the 13th Annual Team Dealer Summit May 1-4, at Loews Ventana Canyon, Tucson, Ariz. Click here for more information.
- Fitness retailer FIT3 (myfit3.com) is sponsoring The Student Apprenticeship Program at the Fairfax non-profit iMADdu (www.imakeadifferencedoyou.org). The program provides opportunities for entrepreneurial students to gain hands-on experience through apprenticeships with local businesses.
-- Therese Iknoian