With more than 410 entries from 28 countries – up 70 percent from last year – the OutDoor Industry Awards recognized achievements in design and innovation on the first day of the OutDoor Show in Friedrichshafen, Germany, held July 15-18. In its fifth year, the OutDoor Industry Awards handed out eight Gold Awards, as well as a special celebrity award to Bosse “Bo” Hilleberg, founder of Hilleberg the Tentmaker.
The entries were rated on degree of innovation, design quality, workmanship, materials, sustainability, functionality, trendsetting characteristics, as well as brand value.
“The award is a good yardstick to measure the innovative strength of the outdoor industry. We see the progress made in product development year after year. The recognition of these products is also an incentive to continue to improve them,” said Boris Gnielka, of Outdoor Magazine and one of the competition’s judges, in a statement.
By category then, the award-winners (including two from the U.S.) are:
- Apparel/helmets/shoes: Bare-Grip 200 off-road running shoes, Inov-8 (United Kingdom)
- Apparel/helmets/shoes: Ricosta Mountain WMS outdoor multi-functional shoes for children, RICOSTA Schuhfabriken GmbH (Germany)
- Mountain-climbing equipment: GridLock safety carabiner, Black Diamond Equipment (USA)
- Camping equipment: Laser Ultra 1 tent, Terra Nova Equipment (United Kingdom)
- Camping equipment: SynMat 7 UL insulated outdoor sleeping mat, Exped AG (Switzerland)
- Accessories: Adventurer Opti portable UV water purifier, Hydro-Photon (USA)
- Accessories: Care Plus Tick Test for self-diagnosis tick testing, Tropicare B.V. (Netherlands)
- Products of high ecological and sustainable value: Einriede 2:0 jacket, Klättermusen Ab (Sweden)
Also, a jury of trade journalists and representatives of the industry awarded the “OutDoor Celebrity of the Year 2010” award to Bosse “Bo” Hilleberg (photo - right), honoring his achievements in the outdoor industry. He founded Hilleberg the Tentmaker in 1971, and during his tenure became one of the most respected tent developers in the world with many of his innovations recognized as standards in tent making.
One jury member, Klaus Haselböck of Land der Berge, said of Hilleberg in a statement: “With his flawlessly functioning products, Bo Hilleberg has defined the epitome of quality not only on the tent market but in the entire outdoor industry. He is considered as a role model who combines highest product quality with his personal enthusiasm for the great outdoors.”
All award winners can be found at www.ifdesign.de.
--SNEWS Editors (from OutDoor Friedrichshafen)