In its third-annual installment, Health magazine has picked its winners in its "Best of Fitness" package, including exercise equipment, as well as apparel, shoes and other gear.
The magazine wrote in its current issue that it tested and used nearly 1,000 of the latest products to come up with its "best" list. Winners are chosen by one judge in each category, although the magazine editors in the past have told SNEWS® that staffers and other editors use and look at pieces. Lynn Allen, a consultant for the SGMA, is the exercise equipment judge.
The magazine, which has a primarily female audience, reaches up to 6.5 million high-income, influential readers.
This year, Horizon Fitness was the only company that took more than one award. Last year, SportsArt Fitness walked away with three of nine awards and Horizon took two. Of last year's winners, not represented this year were SportsArt, Life Fitness and Hoist, while Octane and PaceMaster continue to appear. When it started the "Best of Fitness" ranking in 2005, the magazine only picked one winner in each equipment category for five total awards, rather than splitting each by price, effectively cutting out lower-priced models.
Click here to read additional comments by the magazine and its judge, as well as see details of winners in other categories. In equipment, the top choices were:
• treadmill, under $1,500 –Horizon Fitness RCT7.6
• treadmill, over $1,500 -- PaceMaster Gold Elite Fold-Up
• elliptical trainer, under $1,500 -- Horizon Fitness PSE7 Elliptical
• elliptical trainer, over $1,500 -- Octane Fitness Q37e
• stationary bike, under $1,500 -- Vision Fitness R2250HRT Step-Thru Semi-Recumbent Bike
• stationary bike, over $1,500 -- Star Trac Pro Series Recumbent Bike
• weight system, under $1,500 – Danskin Fitness Empower em40
• weight system, over $1,500 -- Precor S 3.23 Functional Trainer
• most innovative -- Technogym USA Corp Cardio Wave
In the "gear" category, winners included: the New Balance Mini watch, the Polar F55 Red Velvet for Women heart rate monitor, the New Balance VIA Pedometer With Panic Alarm, the Nike + iPod Sport Kit and a Sherpani bag. Among winners in other categories were PowerBar, Propel and the vanilla Clif Nectar bar.