The Conservation Alliance, a coalition of outdoor industry businesses working to fund conservation and recreation causes, announced its second and final round of grants for 2002, including five grants totaling $160,000 to organizations working to protect lands for habitat and recreation. The Conservation Alliance also announced an official change in tax status to 501(c)(3) to increase its flexibility in funding options.
Those receiving the latest round of grant funding are:
- American Lands Alliance (Washington, D.C.): $30,000 to reinstate a moratorium on logging and road building on 4.4 million acres of National Forest roadless areas in California through a direct citizen action campaign, protecting undeveloped forests as habitat for wildlife and endangered fish and as extraordinary wild places for human visitors.
- Nevada Wilderness Project (Reno, Nev.): $25,000 to protect more than 440,000 acres in southern Nevada, leverage action by a new grassroots base of growing diversity and number, and continue an enduring commitment to Nevada wild lands.
- Northern Forest Alliance (Montepelier, Vt.): $35,000 to build awareness in citizens and elected leaders of the importance of land protection in the Northern Forest by developing and mobilizing citizen groups and recruiting partner "Businesses for the Northern Forest," all with a goal of ensuring nature-based recreation in the region.
- Oregon Natural Desert Association (Bend, Ore.): $35,000 to support ONDA's legislative efforts to designate Oregon Badlands and Spring Basin in Oregon's High Desert as Wilderness, through public outreach, grassroots advocacy, focused media efforts and mapping/inventory. These activities will support the association's mission of defending and restoring the health of Oregon's native deserts for wildlife and recreation.
- Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (Monticello, Utah): $35,000 in continuing support of SUWA's efforts to protect as Wilderness approximately 9 million acres of Utah's unique redrock and basin and range lands through grassroots organization and education.