The results of our annual SNEWS® Fitness Retailer Survey are in. Last Wednesday, we reported on the "best" and "worst" suppliers to work with. And on Monday we reported on the best cardio brands by category, according to our retailers.
Now we tell you which brands — again, as determined to our retailers — offer the top-selling strength equipment.
If you need a refresher on which companies offered the best-selling strength equipment for our retailers in last year’s survey, see our story from 2011. Also check out Part I and Part II from this year’s survey.
Top-selling home gyms
We asked retailers to rank their top-selling brands in the home gym category by first-, second- and third-best-selling. The following are the top ranked brands.
The top ranked among the No. 1-selling home gyms:
- Inspire, with 29.27 percent of the vote
- Torque, with 17.07 percent
- Hoist, with 14.63 percent
- Body Solid, with 12.20 percentVectra with 9.76 percent
- Life Fitness and Tuff Stuff, each with 7.32 percent
- Body Craft, with 2.44 percent
The top ranked among the second-best-selling home gyms:
- Inspire, with 35.9 percent of the vote
- Life Fitness, with 15.38 percent
- Hoist and Tuff Stuff, each with 10.26 percent
- Precor, with 7.69 percent
- Body Solid, Tuff Stuff and Vectra, each with 5.13 percent
- Batca Fitness and Free Motion, each with 2.56 percent
The top ranked among the third best-selling home gyms:
- Hoist and Inspire, each with 17.14 percent of the vote
- Life Fitness and Torque, each with 14.29 percent
- Body Solid, with 11.43 percent
- Body Craft, Precor and Tuff Stuff, with 5.71 percent
- AFG, Batca and Ultimate Vo3, each with 2.86 percent
Top-selling free weight equipment
We asked retailers to rank their top-selling brands in the home gym category by first-, second- and third-best-selling. The following are the top ranked brands within each of those segments.
The top ranked among the best-selling free weight equipment:
- Body Solid, with 40 percent of the vote
- Hoist, with 20 percent
- PowerBloc, Troy/USA and Tuff Stuff, each with 7.5 percent
- Cybex, Hampton, Torque, Ultimate and XMark, each with 2.5 percent
The top ranked among the second-best-selling free weight equipment:
- Troy/USA with 21.21 percent of the vote
- Body Solid with 18.18 percent
- Inspire with 12.12 percent
- Hoist with 9.09 percent
- Bodycraft, Go Fit, Inflight, Life Fitness, PowerBlock, Powertec, Pro-Elite, ProSpot, Spri, Tuff Stuff, VTX, XMark and York Barbell, each with 3.03 percent
The top ranked among the third-best-selling free weight equipment:
• Body Solid and PowerBlock, each with 12.5 percent of the vote
• Hoist, Inspire, Precor and Tuff Stuff/USA, each with 8.33 percent of the vote
• Aloyd’s own brand, Cap Barbell, Go Fit, Gymnic, Keiser, Life Fitness, Magnum, Powertec, Rogue Fitness, Torque, each with 4.17 percent.
Stay tuned to SNEWS on Friday and Monday for the rest of our survey results, which includes an overview of top-selling accessories and an overview of what our retailers say are some of the biggest issues facing the industry.
One caveat: Our survey results reflect the answers retailers shared to our simple questions. We warn readers that we are not economists or statisticians, we are simply reporters reporting what retailers have shared with us. If you have comments, questions or suggestions, send us a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.