The Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a recall of approximately 15,000 Petzl ropes, sold between March 2018 through July 2020 at industrial and recreational stores nationwide and in Canada.
According to the recall, the ropes “can have a deep cut or tape securing the ropes together,” potentially leading to a break and fall or injury hazard.
No accidents or injuries have been reported, but “consumers should immediately stop using the recalled ropes and inspect the rope for a deep cut or tape connecting two ends of rope together.” If either is found, contact Petzl America for a free replacement rope.
In July 2020, Petzl was made aware of a potential problem and posted a “request for inspection” on its website detailing the issue that a single customer discovered and reported.
Details of the Petzl recall
- Only ropes with serial numbers ranging between 18 C 0000000 000 and 20 H 0000000 000 are included in the recall.
Models included in the recall
- Axis 11mm rope (white, yellow, black, blue, red and orange) available in 150, 200, 600 and 1200 feet. Model Numbers R074AA00 – R074AA27.
- Parallel 10.5mm (white, yellow, black, blue, red and orange), available in 50, 100, 200 and 500 meters. Model Numbers R077AA03 – R077AA28.
- Vector 12.5mm rope (white, yellow, black, blue, red and orange) available in 150, 200, 600 and 1200 feet. Model Numbers R078AA00—R078AA27.
- Segment 8 mm (white) available in 50, 100 or 200 meters. Model Numbers R076AA00 – R076AA06.
- Ray 12 mm (yellow/black) available in 25, 50, 75, 100 and 200 feet. Model Numbers R091AA00 – R091AA04.
- ASAP’AXIS 11 mm (white) available 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 meters. Model numbers R074DA00 -- R074DA05
- Push 200 9 mm (white, orange) available in 200 meters. Model Numbers R40AW200 and R40AO200.
- Club 200 10 mm (white, orange) available in 200 meters. Model Numbers R39AW200 and R39AO200.
- Top 9.8 mm (Not sold in North America)
- Lead 9.8mm (Not sold in North America)
- JAG Rescue Kit model numbers K090AA00-K090AA02